Italian Baked Squashgetti
- 2 spaghetti squashes
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut each spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Place each half face down on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Use a fork to gently pull apart the strands; place strands in a large bowl and set aside. Do not discard rinds.
2. In a saucepan, cook Italian sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat. When sausage is cooked throughout, drain grease if necessary. Add spaghetti sauce; stir and heat for 3-5 minutes or until sauce is warmed.
3. Add warm sauce to spaghetti squash and thoroughly combine. (Add 1 cup of sauce at a time so you can create a squash/sauce ratio that you like.) Stuff each rind with squash. Top stuffed rinds with mozzarella cheese.
4. Turn oven to broil. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted and is browned. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Dairy-free: Omit cheese. Do not broil.
Paleo: Omit cheese. Do not broil. Use paleo-friendly sauce.
Vegan: Omit cheese. Omit Italian sausage. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil before adding spaghetti sauce.
Vegetarian: Omit Italian sausage. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil before adding spaghetti sauce.
Receive insider health information straight to your inbox.
Easiest Buffalo Chicken
Easiest Buffalo Chicken is one of our go-to recipes. I consider this a “base recipe” as it can be used multiple ways: a filling for